[alfa] synthetic oil and consumption

I've gotten the impression, from previous digest threads, that synthetic (and semi-synthetic, I assume) oils will be burned off less than non-synthetics in worn-out engines. Can anyone tell me why this is? Will it be any more effective in dealing with ring wear than valve guide wear, or vice versa? Is it likely to blow visibly less smoke?

TIA,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6