[alfa] Re: 115 spider cooling system saga

Chris,
    I have close to the same setup on my '89 Spider - upgraded 3 row radiator
core, electric fan (actually the Bosch unit used to cool the AC condensor
without the condensor in front of the radiator), stock 190C thermostat and the
flow restrictor.  This setup stays at 190C without any problems.  On a really
hot day, it will creep above 190C by a little, but I attribute that to the
inadequacy of the Bosch fan.  It's intended to be a "helper" and not carry the
entire cooling load (I've removed my water pump driven fan).  So next summer, I
will probably install a "real" electric fan.  But it has been more than adequate
for the past year in the Bay Area.
    I never tried the setup without the flow restrictor.  So I can't say what
the performance of my system is with and without.  So your problem might be
related to the missing flow restrictor.  (If you get hit by a bolt of
lightening, you know it's from Fred up in heaven saying "Put the damn flow restrictor
in!")  But the thermostat is 190C, so I'm not sure what you are observing is
all that bad.  It might not overheat under hotter ambient conditions.  You might
actually be observing the performance of your cooling system in a "thermostat
restricted" (ie the thermostat is not fully opened) mode.  If the ambient
temperature were to increase and the coolant temperature rises slightly, that
might open the thermostat all the way.
    Rich Hirsch's excellent article at
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/3837/bypassco.html is good reading if you haven't already seen it.  The
only thing I'm muddy about is the fact that the thermostat is acutally a "dual
mode" design that is supposed to BLOCK the bypass hose in the fully open
position (that's why generic thermostats from Grand Auto or Kragen don't really work
on Alfas).  So it seems like the function of the restrictor is a little
redundant - it regulates the circulation when the thermostat is closed (but who
cares since the radiator is not in the loop) and flow to the restrictor is blocked
by the thermostat when the thermostat is open.  So I am actually puzzled -
unless Alfa designed the flow restrictor before they developed the dual action
thermostat and the restrictor was left in as a "prehensile tail".  But I never
took mine out for fear of what Fred might do to me if he ever found out!  ;->
    Hope this helps somewhat.
Cheers,
Charlie