[alfa] Cams

In a message dated 11/9/2003 6:08:32 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 14:09:59 -0500
> From: Anne O <advection@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] Cams
>
> I rebuilt the replacement head for the 84 Spider,it now sits on the dining
> room table, the most convient place for a valve adjustment in this chill
> weather.
> To finish the valve adjustment, I have to decide between an assortment of
> cams. I'd like your collective wisdom on the best combination for low end
> power, as it is a city car.
>
> Also, I need to identify the two different VVT cams I have. One, allegedly
> from an 1984 has a large round nut slotted every 3/4 of an inch at the front
> end. The other appears identical except for having a large hex nut, rather
> than the round nut, on the end.
>
> The cam choices I have are: 1750 early cams 105 02 03 20001, 2L early cams
> 105 20 03 20000, the VVT intake cams with either of the above as exhaust
> cams.
>
> Use the VVT with the 1750 exhaust cams at 102 degrees ?
>
> Its getting a bit to cold to be cam swapping and adjusting to try all
> possible combinations.
>
> TIA
> Anne O

       If it is going on a L Jetronic injected engine, you need the VVT.  A
non VVT intake cam will idle very poorly on an L Jet Alfa.
       To the best of my knowledge, both your VVT cams are the same profile.
The nut holding the VVT together is the only difference.  The round slotted
nut is an earlier version.  It is probably easier to get loose to set the cam
timing.  Use a hammer and a punch.  Not very sophisticated, but it works.
       For the huge nut on the other cam, I made a 55 mm end wrench.  It has
to be thin to fit between the end of the cam and the head.  I made mine from
an old truck spring on a Bridgeport Mill.  It is used only to loosen the nut to
set the cam timing once the head is back on the engine.
       For exhaust, use the wildest camshaft you have, which would be the
1750.  The 1750 intake and exhaust cams are identical and interchangeable.

       If you want a wilder intake cam, you will have to go to the
aftermarket.  The only VVT intake cam that is better is the Motronic.  However, the
Motronic intake cam has a larger base circle and will not fit the early head
without extensive modifications.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City