[alfa] RE: MAACO

Hi Bob

I had my Spider painted by the MAACO in Framingham. There
is a very nice Iranian guy there, whose name I have
forgotten. He is the boss. I asked him for a three stage
job - sealer, base and primer and he did it for me. It cost
about $1000. I also had some dings taken out.

Overall, I think the job quality was good and was value for
money. The things I did to get to the "good" side of
quality were:
Went and saw him twice and spent quite a while talking to
him about work and life in general.
Stripped every piece of removable stuff off the outside of
the car, including bumpers, handles, lights and emblems. If
you leave anything on it will be poorly masked and the job
will look like s**t.
In advance I identified every blemish on the car and had
him mark them off to be repaired.
When I got the car home I wet sanded the clear coat with
1500 grit and then buffed it with a Makita buffer and 3M
buffing pads / compound.
One thing I should have done was take it back for another
clear coat after the initial sanding to really build up
some depth to it.

The 3M and Makita web sites give the details and its not
hard to do.
http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/aad/solutions/fprofessional.jhtml
http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/aad/solutions/pro_opeel.jhtml
http://www.makita.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=257

The stuff mentioned on the 3M site can be bought from many
web sites and local auto stores. The sanding / buffing work
took about 6-10 hours and was well worth it. I'm told its
best to do it within about 48 hours of the final coat as it
gets much harder to do after that.

If you are in Natick area drop by sometime and you can look
at the job.
Regards

Simon
91 Spider, Dover, MA

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). The information contained in this message may be private and confidential, and may also be subject to the work product doctrine. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.