[alfa] Help - stripped cam bearing stud

Richard, my commiseration's. Yes, you need to use a Helicoil. It
happened once to me when using heavy duty valve springs (first and last
time). I didn't even get to 14 pounds as the stud pulled out while
merely turning the last nut.

The head was (fortunately) still on the bench and I sure didn't want to
tear it all apart and neither did I have a drill press.

I did have one of the cheapy 'bolt your drill in' vertical stands. After
installing drill into the stand and attaching the correct bit, I used a
plastic triangle to make sure it was close to square in both directions.

Then I covered everything with Saran wrap except the part of the
'patient' which needed operating on. I'd drill a wee bit, then vacuum
out until the hole was deep enough, after that it just a matter of
installing the Helicoil and buttoning back up. Had many miles on the
head with no problems.

As I'm inclined to do, I worried and stressed over 'the operation' much
longer than it actually took to fix.

I think it would be quite risky to eyeball the drilling part. Should you
decide to do so, ask a friend stop by. As you drill, you watch the
side-to-side part. Let him / her watch the to and fro part. Remind the
helper the engine is slanted on top.

Good luck!

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA