Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:22:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Richard Lane <srlane@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Help - stripped cam bearing stud

Assembling the head on my 2000GTV engine and the last of the 12 cam bearing
nuts that I torqued (to a lousy 14lbft) stripped the thread out of the hole.

So, I have a Permatex "form-a-thread" kit and a M8x1.25 helicoil kit. I guess
Permatex is out since this is definitely a critical part - so it's gotta be
the
helicoil kit.

But I've never done this - I don't have a drill press, just a hand drill, so
it's not clear to me whether I could drill the required hole perpendicular -
does the exiting hole guide the drill in or is it possible to screw up and
wander off course?

The head is on so it's difficult to transport to an expert - for those of you
who've done this before..should I do it myself, or remove the head again and
take it to the experts?

Thanks,

- -Richard
San Jose, CA