[alfa] Diesel oil, Spirax

Diesel oil is not a single category, read the label carefully for its
gasoline engine certification.

Among the diesel oils that will destroy a gasoline engine are the oil for
EMD diesels, the high ash oil for Catepillar engines and the single weight
oils specified for GM two stroke 71 Series and 149 series.

The most common oil used in gas and diesel engines is a 15-40 multigrade.

Interestingly, the spec sheet for the EMD oil states that it is zinc free to
prevent corrosion of silver bearing material. Do any automotive applications
currently use silver based bearing material?

The last 5 gal can of Texaco "Multigear EP 80-90" I picked up had a label
stating "When current stocks are depleted supercede to Spirax 80-90". Seeing
that, I tried it in the Alfa, it seems fine.
The oil is available in quarts also.

Anne O