[alfa] Help - stripped cam bearing stud

In a message dated 11/9/2003 8:56:03 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:22:53 -0800 (PST)
> From: Richard Lane <srlane@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] Help - stripped cam bearing stud
>
> Assembling the head on my 2000GTV engine and the last of the 12 cam bearing
> nuts that I torqued (to a lousy 14lbft) stripped the thread out of the hole.
>
> So, I have a Permatex "form-a-thread" kit and a M8x1.25 helicoil kit. I
> guess
> Permatex is out since this is definitely a critical part - so it's gotta be
> the
> helicoil kit.
>
> But I've never done this - I don't have a drill press, just a hand drill, so
> it's not clear to me whether I could drill the required hole perpendicular -
> does the exiting hole guide the drill in or is it possible to screw up and
> wander off course?
>
> The head is on so it's difficult to transport to an expert - for those of
> you
> who've done this before..should I do it myself, or remove the head again and
> take it to the experts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - -Richard
> San Jose, CA
> '67 GTV

       Use the Heli Coil.  I was helping a fellow rebuild his Alfa engine.
He pulled two of the studs that hold the cam caps by overtightening them.  I
carefully hand drilled the first one, being especially careful to make sure the
drill was straight up and down.  He drilled the second one, but got it
crooked.
       We installed the stud.  The cap would not fit due to the angle of the
stud.  I put the cap in place and drove it home with a rubber hammer.  It held
just fine.  I am not sure how you would get the cam cap off again, but it
never needed removed during many miles of service.
       So be really careful to drill straight.  The existing hole will help
some, but will not prevent you from drilling crooked.  Aluminum is very soft.
       By the way, spread some rags around to catch the drill cuttings.  A
bit of grease on the drill bit and the tap can capture most if not all the
cuttings.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City