[alfa] Vacuum relief valve

When does the 'relief' part of the valve actually come into play? On the
Alfetta, while not heavy, there is a spring which keeps a pad up against
the outlet. There is no way atmosphere would ever overcome this spring.
Once the valve / tube is removed, it is somewhat difficult to blow
through the valve (from outside in). Normal?

Engine has been cutting out again with heat now being a minor aspect -
although it always happens on the way home.

Cut-out all the way back (first time). Plug centers were all white or
very light brown. First time since installing the 'more powerful' fuel
pump the sight glass between the two carbs was less than half full.

For no particular reason did a compression check. Not thrilled - low
140, high 165. Did have one interesting glitch while running test - at
one point starter didn't respond to the turn of the key. Turned key back
then reapplied and engine spun.

Will admit cutting out feels like either fuel starvation or someone
quickly turning ignition off and on .

Voltage was fine at fuel pump and when idling, pressure gauge never
dropped below 4 pounds - even when less than half full..

Had just picked up some new BP7ES NGK's and installed (once back). Felt
slightly colder might help. Grasping at straws. Had about 2k miles on
Bosch +4 R3 089 plugs. Prior to that had BP6ES plugs.

Made a spirited run on the streets taking it to redline on each shift.
Ran great. Sight glass was full when I got back.

She's always loved fresh plugs and responded accordingly. However, know
something more serious than bad plugs are the problem.

Trust me, I'm as bored with the subject as anyone patient enough to read
my rants. Unfortunately, this is The daily driver and now afraid to even
drive to the (picketed) supermarket.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA