[alfa] RE: Low Spica Fuel Pressure - Followup

1. If the supply pump is the old style SPICA/Bosch I wouldn't automatically discount a failing pump. What I would do If I were you, is get a 0-20lb fuel pressure gauge and make a "T" adapter so you can measure the fuel pressure between the front filter and the injection pump. It should be 15-18 psi.

The supply pump off the L-Jet cars works fine, but you do have to narrow the restrictor to 1/16" by soldering in and redrilling. The reason this must be done is that the L-Jet supply pump does not discharge the flow rate/volumn that the old style pumps did. The slightly smaller restrictor boosts the pressure back up to 15-18, from about 10 psi if it's installed without the restrictor mod. It still provides sufficient cooling to the injection pump.

Engine temp will have little to do with the performance of the injection system. Hot roads, exhaust pipe near the gas tank, etc, can heat the fuel in the tank up to close to boiling and send the supply pump into vapor lock. Low fuel levels obvioulsy make it that much worse. Engine temp won't matter too much.

A Leaking PRV is a long shot but should be checked anyway. Another scenario that could cause stalling after a freeway run could be that the return line is plugged at the tank return inlet. This would cause deadheading in the pump, hot fuel, and eventual caviatation and loss of pressure. At higher engine speeds it may run fine because you're using fuel at a much higher rate and the pressure doesn't increase that much. If the car's been sitting for a long time, varnish could form at the top of the fuel level in the tank and clog the return line.