RE: [alfa] Diesel Oil

FWIW -
I am on a Suzuki Bandit motorcycle email list as well. Many of the
listers use a Shell diesel oil on their bikes to good effect. There's no
catalyzer on these bikes, so any contamination is not an issue. Car oils
have reduced in various additives in recent years to discourage cat
fouling, but this has been suspected of causing some problems on
motorcycles which typically do not have cats, and also have the
variation of a wet clutch (where the clutch plates are bathed in the
engine oil). Also the motorcycles typically have the engine oil used in
the transmission as well, so the gear action is thought to cause faster
oil breakdown. These bikes rev to 9500 stock, some modified bikes rev
higher.

Greg

------------------------------
>Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 04:25:52 -0500
>From: Keith Walker <100662.3423@domain.elided>
>Subject: [alfa] Diesel Oil
>
>>>The son of a friend is crew chief on one of the factory Corvettes (#3

>think).  I'm told that their trick oil setup is to run diesel engine
oil because it contains a lot of zinc.  Zinc provides a protective
coating that works well at high temps and cuts
>down on wear.  Zinc causes cats on newer cars to break down sooner but
I'll probably switch to diesel engine oil for my older Alfas.<

>Hi

>As I understand it diesel oils have a very large detergent content
compared to oils for normal petrol engines. Maybe the zinc content is to
make up for the detergents.
>I wouldn't trust the stuff in a high revving petrol engine, although I
might well use it as a flushing oil