Re: [alfa] Wheels and Exhaust and Bushings

The poly replacement from Performatek is the way to go.  It's not as harsh as the ES30 bushing but helps handling.   Contact Andy Kress at www.performatek.com.

> Have a set of aftermarket headers currently on an 85 GTV-6 that I'm looking
> at putting on (hope they fit) parts car and have a decent ANSA Muffler from
> the same but not sure if I want to use it. Looking at an 'Offroad' Style
> exhaust so don't need Cat right now. What sort of mix and match
> exhausts/glasspacks etc have people used to get a good sound/performance etc
> from the ole Alfa and and tidbits about fitting them. Perhaps full
> independent duals ?

This is what I did on my Verde, except with cats.  I run dual free-flow cats with a welded flange on the end of the header pipe, into 2 glasspacks from JCW, with short pipes to a collector that fits the stock pipe over the axle.   I cut off the stock muffler at the back and added a stainless can with removable baffles for the track (though I do run open on the street, much to the shegrin of my neighbours and local law enforcement).

> What is the lowest profile tires/wheels that people have had success with
> and no clearance problems. Adapter rings for different bolt patterns?  Where
> have people purchased some real nice wheels for a competitive price that
> look good on a Milano

I run 17" wheels with 215/40-17.   You can squeeze 225/45-17"s under there.  They might rub a little.  They rub the extra skirting on the Verde which you don't have on your car.   The threshold is 25" overall height to miss the inner fenders.

You can get adapters from www.adaptamerica.com or www.wheeladaptions.com.   They want about $200 for a set of spacers that change the bolt pattern.  I will eventually do this, changing from 5x98 to 5x114.3 which is a common size for American cars like Mustangs.  The available wheels in that pattern are abundant and about half the price of the 17" sold in 5x98.

The downside is if you run at the track.   Assuming you retorque after every session as you should, you'd need to remove the wheel and retorque the adapter and then retorque the wheel too.   A PITA if you have limited times between runs.

Another mod I highly recommend is using the ES30 vented rear rotors.   Also available from Performatek.   You need a pair and a caliper spacer kit.  While you're at it, upgrade the pads from them too.  Andy can guide you best for your application.   I use the CarboTech pads for a dual purpose car and LOVE them.   Also ask him about the Motul RBF600 fluid.   Works wonders for the ABS.

HTH

-Peter