[alfa] re: Diesel Oil

Dave wrote:
>>Any experience out there with diesel engine oil?

I use Valvoline All-Fleet Plus 15w40 in my '74 GTV.  It seems to like
the stuff (or at least hasn't shown that it dislikes it).  This is their
light-duty diesel oil.  I must admit that I don't use it for the diesel
additive properties, though, but because it's the only 15w40 I can get.
I like an oil with a low viscosity spread as it will tend to break down
less quickly, and I don't drive the car in cold weather so the low temp
properties aren't important to me.  This is also the viscosity and brand
that my mechanic uses, so to keep the car consistently running the same
stuff I use it too.  The only negative I have found is that the oil is
much darker when new than regular auto oils, so it's harder to notice
color change as it ages.  The upside of this is that it's easier to read
the dipstick.

Jeff Matson
Harvard, MA
'74 GTV 2000