[alfa] Milano Woes

Dear Digesters,

It may be an old story or a new one, but I am a dejected soul. I have
owned my beautiful 87 Milano Gold since last December, using it for my
daily driver, touring with the Northern California Alfa Club and generally
finding this car the most fun car to drive I have ever had.

I have been very good to the car - always changing the oil every 3K,  new
belts, hoses, new brakes, new headliner, new wheels, a beautiful Nardi
leather wheel, A/C recharge, a new booster, new proportioning valve, AM/FM
CD with 10 CD changer, new (used) clean front motorized seats, etc, etc,
etc.

I was driving the car to work Monday at freeway speed and a sudden loss of
power and the car DIES. Over to the side of the road, turn the key - it
spins free. A tow to the mechanic confirms the worst nightmare - a freak
occurance. The alternator belt lets go and gets jammed into the spinning,
near new, timing belt. It skips a few teeth, bam, valves hit the cylinder
head, and ZERO compression, all six cylinders due to badly bent valves.

Now, I have either a VERY nice parts car, or I transplant an engine, as I
will not spend $2K for a valve job on a $2500 car with 153,000 miles,(nice
car or not.)

 So if there is anyone out there who knows of a 2.6 V6 in California that
can be purchased for a little bit of money, please be on the lookout and
call me or email me. APE wants $800 for a motor and that will be way over
budget after the transplant labor. I found a nice 70K 2.5 motor from a
GTV6 (that had a 3.0 liter transplant) in Minnesota for $500 bucks, but
the shipping to get it here was $471.00!

Thanking you all in advance,

Michael Pordes
mdpordes@domain.elided
707 -631-2816