RE: [alfa] Multimeter?

For most basic stuff that you will use the meter for, you want a digital
multimeter (DMM) and not an analog one. Almost all of the DMM's have a high
enough input impedance so that they won't damage or affect the circuit that
is being tested.

The more expensive ones add more features such as frequency measurements,
pulse width, dwell, RPM, capacitance in some cases, etc. Some of these are
also auto-ranging which is nice but not an absolute requirement.

They all perform all the basic measurements such as A/C and D/C voltage,
resistance, and current. When looking at the specs, pay attention to the
latter though. For automotive work, having a meter with a 10 amp range is a
good thing, it should also have overload protection.

Another difference when you get into the more expensive meters is that they
will have a 'low ohms' range. This is nice for tracking down bad grounds and
the like since they will be accurate when measuring very small resistances.
This feature usually also includes a zeroing function so you can cancel out
the resistance of the test leads.

I'd been using a (relatively) inexpensive radio shack DMM for 15 plus years
(the same one) and although it was getting a little flakey it still worked.
I replaced with a fluke professional model that is real nice, but is way
more than the casual weekend wrench would need.

HTH,

Jeff