[alfa] Coolant in Septic systems

From: "Wayne Abbott" <wabbott@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] glycol into septic systems

If antifreeze is toxic to animals could it also be toxic to the bacteria in
the septic system.  If so, the system can die and will fail to break down
anything.

At my former place of employment some lab person accidentally poisoned the
septic system by using the wrong drain.  When the system started to back up
the pumper truck was called.  He found the system, (our system consisted of
the septic tank, and a liquids tank with a level switch and pump to move
liquid up hill to the leach field) dead.  The primary tank was completely full
of solids.  Completely full!

Wayne, the toxicity associated with humans/animals etc ingesting polyglycols is
in large part due to their detrimental effects of the metabolic products on
kidneys and livers. As the unicellular organisms (bacteria etc) are without
these organ systems etc, they haven't these problems. Unicellular organisms are
great and live in the most inhospitable places on the earth (e.g.: hot sulfur
vents at the very bottom of the ocean, diesel fuel....), taking care of the
nasty work on the planet. In fact, there are probably strains of bacteria that
absolutely love to metabolize coolants.... So I wouldn't worry much about the
ability of the septic system to handle coolants per se, but the concern over
shock-loading a septic system is a valid one.

AD

--
Adam S. Doherty
Howard Hughes Medical Institute