[alfa] Re: Just Where The Hell Do You Think That Crank Pulley Is Going?

In ad v9n911, Biba writes:

<snip>

> ALWAYS assume when wrenching a car back together that you are going to
> have to remove the item again...possibly in a matter of miles (right
> TJ?). Logic it through - just as I pointed out with the front crank
> pulley - how critical is it that this bolt / nut should Never budge a
> nanomillimeter?

<snip>

Of course, you never want to ASSUME you had torqued the nut tight in the
first place. I happen to know of a chap who, after reassembling his engine and
forgetting to torque the crank nut, took the completed car out for the short
shake-down run and found said nut sitting on the lower radiator hose when they
returned home. The chap will remain nameless to protect the embarrassed (don't
look too hard at the archives to find this story).

Y'all do what you think is best on your engines. *I* sure learned a bunch
rebuilding mine. :-)

Tom
Seattle
6310123
7711615 (a tart w/ tight nuts ... errr, nevermind)