Re[alfa] Spider Series Number:

Jon Kligerman asks:
"I've read numerous e-mails on the digest referring to Spider Series and then
a number from one to (I think) 4.  Can anybody explain what years each series
number refers to.  I have a 1982 Spider - what is its series number?"

Excellent question!!  Alfisti refer to the last series 115 Spiders (the last
Pininfarina restyle, 1991-94), as the series 4.  I believe the general wisdom
is that the series three cars ran roughly from 1982 (first year of the Bosch
FI) through 1990.  If this is not the general wisdom, then trust me Jon -- you
will see the corrections due me (and graciously accepted), here on the AD!
Some may refer to the Kamm tailed Spiders as series 2, but I don't recall
hearing much of that reference, honestly.  The first series was, of course,
the Duetto 1600 and (starting in 1969), the 1750 cars.

It's just an informal Alfa owner thing, never was official factory jargon
AFAIK.  There are some nice reference books out there on the Spiders, suggest
you do a search on Amazon.

Dave Jarman
Lexington, KY
USA