[alfa] RE - A couple of Alfasud problems

Re Matt's queries, in Digest 894, I haven't seen any replies, so here's my
tuppence worth -

Matt wrote:
>Could someone please give me some advice/tips on how to solve the
following problems for a 1982 Alfasud Gold Cloverleaf 1.5ti?
> (1) When on a long journey and I stop for a traffic jam, say, the
temperature light comes on and the car threatens to overheat.  I then
have to stop at the next possible point to refill the water in the
engine.  I originally thought that the fan wasn't coming on because of
an airlock.  However, apparently getting rid of the airlock has not
worked.  The water level is fine on stop-free journeys.  What could be
the problem?<

Matt, if the fan isn't starting then check the fan sensor in the radiator,
the fan motor itself, the wiring and the earth, and the relevant fuseholder.
That's all there is to the fan circuit. All these are really easy to check
with a multimeter and a couple of clip leads. How do you go with electrical
work?  If it's a foreign language to you, just email me off-digest and I'll
walk you through it. Email me with any queries anyway.

Apart from the fan not coming on, you may have a weakness in the cooling
system anyway. The Alfa Sud has a really good cooling system and if it's in
good shape these cars hardly ever overheat, or use any water, except in
extreme conditions. It's possible that the 20-year old radiator isn't
working as well as it used to, especially if car's been untouched for 15
years. But if it hasn't deteriorated too much, fixing the fan problem may be
all you need to do to keep the situation under control for a few more years
yet.

Matt also asked:
> (2) Occasionally, when I start the car in the morning, the engine
only runs on one carburettor, as if the other carburettor is being
starved of fuel.  Bear in mind that I've had to replace the petrol tank
because the old one, having been stood in a garage for 15 years before
this summer, was filled with nasty, soupy petrol.  Could it be that the
carburettors are just dirty?  In which case, will I need to strip them
down and clean them?  (I don't fancy that!!) <

Do you start it using the choke or by jabbing the accelerator pedal a few
times to activate the accelerator pumps?  If by the choke, then possibly the
cable is sticking in one segment and not activating one carb's starter-jet,
or possibly one carb's starter-jet has a sticky operating-swivel (quite
likely after 15 years of disuse).

If you start it by jabbing the accelerator, then there may be a problem in
one carb (most likely just dirt).

Has this car really been unused for 15 years, and if so, how long have you
had it up & running since revival? Has this intermittent starting problem
been present all that time, or has it developed only recently?   When it
occurs, does it clear itself within a few seconds, or what? More details,
please...

If you need to deal with a sticky choke cable or starter-jet swivel, let me
know if you need a hand - these jobs are easy and we can describe it all by
email.

Also, if it's eventually decided that it'll be necessary to clean out the
carbs, don't fret, as the main areas you'd need to clean are really easy to
deal with on the Sud twin Webers or Dellortos. I'm sure we can do it via
email.

AlfaSud forever!
Regards,
Graham Hilder, New Zealand.
1982 AlfaSud TI Green Cloverleaf, 1982 AlfaSud Sprint Veloce (x2), plus Alfa
Nords.