Re: [alfa] How do I remove the ignition switch

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:35:46 -0800 Derek Ealy <dealy663@domain.elided> wrote:

> After taking everyone's opinions I decided to just order a new ignition
> switch and lock set. It should be here tomorrow. So tonight I thought I'd
> remove the dead ignition switch. But I can't figure out how. I assume there
> must be some bolt I don't see or some key piece like in one of those
> puzzles.

typically there's a "tamper proof" bolt fixing the ignition switch in place.
it has a bolt head you use to install it, which then snaps off when tightened
"enough". you usually have to work at it to get it out, by cutting a slot for
a screwdriver or some other method for gaining purchase and getting it
started coming out.

when i replaced the ignition switch on my wife's GTV 6, i dispensed with
the new "tamper proof" bolt, and used an allen head cap screw from the
local hardware store instead. i only want to go through that once per car.

richard