Re: [alfa] Just Where The Hell Do You Think That Crank Pulley Is Going?

Biba said about steering wheels: have Never heard of one coming off in
someone's hands.

I could tell you about the Morris Minor steering column (can't remember
whether it was in my '57 or '62) that came adrift from the splined junction
at the floor. But I won't bore you with the panicked details of driving down
a four lane, undivided highway even in sparse 1972 traffic with no steering
trying to diagnose and fix the problem before something unsavory happened.

My advice? Take a look at the manual and tighten bolts and nuts to the
recommended torque specs. If the manual does not have a value, then check a
page like this:
http://www.e-toolbox.com/application/8852/8852CH03_Metric_Bolts.htm

or this: http://www.thelenchannel.com/1torque.html

or even this: http://www.engineersedge.com/torque.htm

What you do not ever want to do is add JB Weld or like substances to thread
of anything you wish to remove later. It does, however, occur to me that the
previous owner of the car that Biba was recently busting his neighbors
knuckles heeded that warning. He did not intend to remove the offending bolt
again. Ever;~)

Peace,
Ben
1978 Spider (for sale)
1980 Spider (x2 - eventually to be one)
1984 GTV6 (x2 - not sure where these are going)
1987 Milano Platinum (a keeper for now)
Various sundry other vehicles keeping us mobile and broke.

---