Re: [alfa] Just Where The Hell Do You Think That Crank Pulley Is Going?

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:37:46 +0000, alfa-digest wrote:

>The tip I got from fellow owners was to put a wrench on the nut such
>that the handle was braced against the floor.   Then hop in the driver's
>seat and give the starter a crank.   Presto!  I was skeptical but it
>worked perfectly.

              I've found many times I couldn't use the torque wrench due
to space etc, but I'm wondering what torque you ended up with.
I suppose the starter torque - a little friction x the mechanical leverage
supplied by the length of the wrench handle? I'm sure there are many
on the digest that could tell without blinking.

>Oh, a possible tip for removing stuck crank pulley nuts...   I learned
>this while replacing the timing belt on my V6 Acura.  The torque spec is
 > 176ft-lbs, but I couldn't touch it with a 1/2" impact wrench or any
>combination of wrench & cheater bar.

                                    Mark Manley

Tulsa,Ok
'84 GTV6