From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
alfacybersite
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 2:20 PM
To: AD
Subject: [alfa] Tach drive on waterpump

Should the tach drive end rotate freely when not in use? Does oil
pressure (or?) force the internal drive pin to turn the gear by friction
alone? (I switched out the tach gear from an older water pump and
installed in 2000 engine). It rotated freely in the old pump also.

On customer's 1750 engine the tach cable is to firmly attached to the
drive to remove, but can't turn the cable by hand. Checking on another
'loose' engine (which has sat for eons, including outdoors) its drive
won't move - but could be frozen.

Pressing two small shafts together by friction alone doesn't seem like
an accurate way to drive a tach.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA