RE: [alfa] Tach drive on waterpump

Biba,

Here's another data point:
About 15 years ago when I bought my 3rd hand '78 Spider the tach was not
working and I noticed too, that the tach drive spun freely within the water
pump.  At first I thought the gear(s) were worn, but upon inspection they
seemed ok and not "hour glassed" the way a worn helical gear would need to
appear if not meshing with its mate.  Still puzzled, I did some calculations
and determined that for whatever reason the centerline of the gears were too
far apart by something like 1/16" (I don't remember the exact amount.)
Anyway I removed the tach gear drive from the water pump and turned down the
aluminum bearing holder by about 1/8" dia in order to provide about 1/16"
gap (1/16" annulus if perfectly centered in the water pump bore).  The 2
mounting screw holes in the tach gear drive need to be slotted slightly as
well.  Now I was able to slide the tach gear drive within the water pump
toward the driving gear.

Here is the trick to avoid binding the gears too tight:  You will notice
that you can take the end of the tach gear drive pin and push it in and out
slightly due to some thrust slop in the tach drive bearing holder.  So now
as you move the tach gear drive toward the driving gear, push the tach gear
drive pin in and out to "feel" just a slight amount of drag.  Now you know
that the gears are meshed.  I have put about 60k miles on the car since and
the tach still works fine.

Roger Hambro
'78 Spider
Algonquin, IL