[alfa] Weber (Was..SPICA Fuel System)

>> It was (and is) impossible to correctly meter cold
engine mixtures on a carburetted car, so usually too much gas poured
into the cold cylinders and the excess made it's way past the rings and
into the engine oil where it diluted it and, eventually broke it down.
>>Unless this oil was changed often, it accelerated engine wear. But
anyone who owns a car that would have multiple Webers and who doesn't
change the oil at about 2000 mile intervals, doesn't deserve the car. <<

Hi

It is worth noting that Alfa were still using carbs on some models up
until 1992 that I know of. For example the 33 was still being sold
with a pair of twin choke down draft Webers at that time on the
1.3 models for some markets.

These engines start fine without choke generally (the chokes are a
pain), will idle within a very short time and do not wear out the
engines quickly. The carbs do not go out of tune easily and can
be pretty much ignored. A modern efi system almost needs more
maintenance when you include cleaning injectors and replacing
lambda probes

I had a 1988 33 Sportwagon which had twin choke downdraft Dellorto
carbs. I changed the oil at 6000 mile intervals (half the interval UK Alfa
dealers were recommending at the time). I sold it at 105000 miles
to a friend who sold it on at 127000 miles. At that age it still used
no oil between services and ran very well. No smoke on acceleration.

Yes if you start and run to car for a minute regularly then you might
land up diluting the oil. In normal reasonable use it is not a problem.

All the best

Keith