Re: [alfa] Weber (Was..SPICA Fuel System)

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 03:49 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:31:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Lane <srlane@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Weber (Was..SPICA Fuel System)

I haven't owned a Spica car and so won't comment beyond voicing my concern at
there being anything on my car that only two men in the country know how to fix
when it wears out.

However, I do know a little about Webers:-

George Graves said:

be advised that Webers, while arguably the very best carbs available, require
a lot of fiddling to keep them running right.

This is simply untrue. The reason so many are out of tune now is that this myth
is perpetuated, causing everyone (whether a "professional" or not) to get their
flat-bade screwdriver out and start twiddling screws. Beyond a quick
synchronization check, as George described, at each oil-change (30 seconds to
check, 30 more to adjust..when necessary), there is no adjustment necessary.
Webers stay in tune too.
I also know a bit about Webers. I owned a Jaguar XK140 SC roadster with three 42mm dual choke side-drafts for a number of years, I also owned a Guilietta Sprint Veloce with two side-draft dual-choke 40mm Webers (IIRC), and I briefly owned a Ferrrari 212 Inter MM Berlinetta with three down-draft dual-choke 36DCF Webers. I took the time to learn about them. I agree that they don't require much in the way of "tuning", but I've never seen a multiple carburettor setup, whether, SUs on a Jag or an MG, Solexes on a Mercedes or an Alfa 2000 or multiple Webers on anything that didn't almost constantly wander out of sync. When I said 'fiddling" I was referring to synchronizing, not tuning. Although I must say that I did have mess with the idling screws on both the Jag and the Giulietta quite a bit. I found that the sync problem seemed to get critical every 3K or so. In those days we didn't have a fancy instrument like a Synchrometer to help us out. All we had was a pot-metal device with a pith-ball in a glass tube called a Unisyn. It was BARELY better than a piece of surgeon's tubing stuck in one's ear.

and Sherwood White said:
weber carbs destroy motors spica injection is the way to go
They "destroy motors" do they? and the same poster later criticized the "alfa
club of america" for spreading misinformation....I subscribe to the belief that
Alfa Romeo knew more about building well-engineered cars in the '60s than just
about any other company of the day; and so their continuing with Webers on
no
n-USA cars for a decade demonstrates that Webers do not "destroy motors" at
all.

Well, at least I know where this one started. High performance carbs tend to flood the engine with way too much gasoline on cold starts. Many exotic engines like those in Alfas, Maseratis and Ferraris needed a very rich mixture when cold or they simply either wouldn't start or idle properly. It was (and is) impossible to correctly meter cold engine mixtures on a carburetted car, so usually too much gas poured into the cold cylinders and the excess made it's way past the rings and into the engine oil where it diluted it and, eventually broke it down. Unless this oil was changed often, it accelerated engine wear. But anyone who owns a car that would have multiple Webers and who doesn't change the oil at about 2000 mile intervals, doesn't deserve the car. The key here is proper maintenance. It's true that EFI systems are MUCH better in this regard by properly enriching the fuel mixture on cold starts, but really, all it does is allow one to go longer between oil changes (all else being equal). But in this regard, SPICA is actually worse than carburettors. The SPICA pump shares it's lower-end "crankshaft" oil with the engine's oil. Since the pump pistons have no rings, a lot of gasoline gets past the pistons and into the oil. This requires that owners of SPICA'd Alfas change their oil often too, and between oil changes add Marvel Mystery Oil to their crankcases to offset the effects of having large amounts of gasoline in the oil.

if webers wern't dirty therewould have never been spica and dirty means less
motor life in a nut shell next?
Please don't confuse dirt that could destroy an engine with an over-rich
mixture from a badly-adjusted Weber.

Those who admire the Spica system for its design-elegance (and it is pretty
amazing) would perhaps also enjoy the Weber's elegance once they got one apart
(definitely feasible for the amateur). It performs the same function with about
1/10 the number of moving parts - and that's elegant too.
Webers are beautiful. Like many of the cars that used them, they are true works of Italian art. Before the advent of EFI, they were the best way to get power from an engine and they were far less troublesome than most mechanical fuel injection schemes (Rochester, anyone) In fact, 4-two choke Webers on a Chevy 327 would give exactly the same horsepower as as Rochester mechanical FI system-375 horsepower. But the Webers were far less trouble. EFI is the best way ever devised for getting the correct fuel-air mixture to an engine, but I sure miss the soul-satisfying WOOSH! of air through the venturi's of a pair of twin-throat Webers when you put the hammer down whether on a 109 horsepower Alfa Giulietta Veloce, or Ferrari 365 Daytona.

Anyway...Spica? Webers? as a wise man often says, "Enjoy yours".
Agreed.

George Graves
86 GTV-6 3.0'S'
- -Richard Lane