[alfa] Webers

George wrote:
>Also, be advised
that Webers, while arguably the very best carbs available, require a
lot of fiddling to keep them running right. SPICA FI, on the other
hand, once properly set-up, will work reliably and flawlessly without
being touched just about forever. If you decide to go the Weber route,
at the same time, purchase the $100 Synchrometer from them (page 67,
current catalogue) and learn how to use it. You'll need it about every
three thousand miles to sync the two carbs.

To which I reply BS.

Both my cars have Webers. My daily driver is a 79 spider and I do 60
miles/day to and from work. The synchronization does not shift, and I rarely
adjust anything on them. And if you do need to re-synch them, you only need
a decent tachometer (mine was $5 on Ebay). Pull a plug lead from #2 cylinder
and see how much the revs drop. Do the same on #3. Turn the synch screw to
make them the same. Total time 10 minutes. Compare that to a SPICA
adjustment routine! The only other adjustment is the idle mixture screws.
Turn them in until the revs start to drop then back them out a bit. It is
hardly rocket science.
My cars are fast and reliable and the spider gets 28 mpg.
Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
73 GTV
79 Spider