Re: [alfa] brake fade

Yes, too much heat in the pads or rotors can also cause fade.
It's not just a reduction in "feel", but an actual reduction in the
friction generated between the pad and rotor, and hence braking force.
This requires more clamping force (which generates even more heat), to
the point that it may exceed the clamping force the brakes are capable
of providing.  Having run out of brakes this way a few times over the
years, I can tell you it's not something you want to experience.

A glance at most physics texts can give you the basic theory of friction
v. temperature.  The materials involved will alter the properties,
of course.  Carbon-carbon brakes, for example, provide *more* friction
the hotter they get, up to the point when there's actual material failure
from cracking.

jamesm