[alfa] brake fade

I've got a question for the digest that doesn't necessarily pertain to Alfas--can anything besides overheated fluid cause brake fade? I seem to remember reading once that very hot friction surfaces will also cause a degredation in pedal feel. True? True of modern pads?

Unrelated question: How much do you all think a pair of dried out and faded, but not torn '85 GTV-6 front seats are worth?

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6