Re: [alfa] Dial Indicators for Finding TDC

At 1:05 AM 10/26/03, Jon Pike wrote:
>For what it's worth,  here's what I've been doing during my engine rebuild.
>
>This is what is known as a real Kluge, in West Coast electronic/computer
>industry speak,  or Bodge for our Brit compatriots..

The way to do it, probably MORE accurately than WITH a cheap dial
indicator, LET one without a good mount:

Make some sort of a ridgid extension for an old spark plug--long enough to
reach the top of the piston when it is a bit (maybe 1/8") below TDC when
the assembly is screwed snugly into the spark plug hole.

Rotate the engine forward until the piston contacts the stop. Mark the spot
on the front pulley where the piston contacts the stop.

Rotate the engine backwards until the piston again contacts the stop. Mark
the spot on the front pulley where the piston contacts the stop.

REMOVE the stop !!! :-)

Halfway between the two marks you made on the front pulley is true TDC.
Mark it, adjust the pointer to match it, whatever you choose to memorialize
your results.

Greg  (nothing wrong with hillbilly approaches as long as they WORK,
accurately !!!)