RE: [alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #899

George et al,

You'll defeat much of the purpose of the BMW AFM by stretching the stock
hose.  The BMW AFM has a 3" inlet and outlet.   The Alfa has a 2.5" outlet
to a 3" throttle inlet.   That little input from the air box, even bored out
with a Dremel creates restriction too.   You can get a generic 3" air tube
and a 3" K&N cone filter to use the maximum airflow of the BMW AFM.

Using the CO screw doesn't do nearly as much as turning the black wheel in
the AFM spring.   It's under the black cover where the wiring harness plugs
in.   It's marked .017 throughout the wheel.   Turn the wheel
counterclockwise to enrich (loosen) the spring.   Use an AFR meter or VOM
off the O2 sensor to see when you have it right.  Best to hook one up in the
car to see how it behaves under load as well as idle.

I got mine through Illinois emissions with a little tweaking. They test on
the chassis dyno through the rev range, not just an idle test.  If you leave
the cap loose, you can adjust at the track and such.  I also installed an
adjustable FPR to get a little more out of the wimpy 183cm/3 injectors.  At
60 psi rail pressure, they run about 210cm/3 (20 #per hour).  I only do this
for the track to save my cats.

You can see my installation at
http://home.comcast.net/~webb.p/verde/index.html

Bosch part # for the AFM is 0 280 203 011.   The injectors for the same year
will also help.  Bosch part # 0 280 150 201 (236 cm/3) @ 42psi rail, 80%
duty cycle peak and hold.  These are the low-z 2.3 ohm injectors needed for
the L-Let, often called grey-tops.

-Peter