[alfa] Dial Indicators for Finding TDC

I recently repeated a scenario that has become pretty familiar over the years:
I THINK I remember reading something (in this case I THINK it was in the Alfa
Owner) only to spend a large chunk of the time I have been allotted here on
earth thumbing through several years of 'Owner back issues.  As per usual,  I
never find exactly what I was looking for.  What I do find is a host of
interesting articles on topics of which I have vague recollection of having
once read, or no recollection at all.  This is usually when I am struck by the
degree to which the hole in the bottom of the bucket that metaphorically
represents my brain seems to be growing.

I have for years thought it might be useful to many to construct an
issue-and-page index of 'Owner tech articles by broad model classifications
(Giulietta/Early Gulia, 105/115, Alfetta, GTV6/Milano, 164) and functional
system (engine, suspension, fuel, electricals etc.) which could be used as a
handy reference to locate all those ancient tech articles you'd swear you
remember reading.  This notion is anachronistic now with the advent of
electronic multimedia and search engines, but it would still be fun if a
little tedious.

Someday.

In this instance the article I sought discussed the use of a dial indicator to
locate 'true' TDC on your engine.  I've never really trusted the bent and
wandering reference arrow affixed to my Alfa's engine.  Does anyone have any
direct experience with this procedure?  Dial test indicators are readily
available and ,conceptually, the procedure is not difficult to understand.  As
a practical matter my biggest question is how to build (or buy) a devise to
attach the dial indicator to the engine?  The readings are only going to be as
reliable as the platform is stable.  Any help would be appreciated,

Albert Jacob
71 GTV
78 Sport Sedan