[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #899

In all of the early 12-valve units, it IS possible to use the AFM from a 6-cylinder BMW of similar vintage because they both used the Bosch L-JetTronic F.I. system. All you really needed to do was soak the Alfa's rubber inlet boot in boiling water to stretch it over the larger BMW AFM outlet and then using an air/fuel meter adjust the airflow screw on the AFM for best results. But in the early nineties, and certainly by the time the 24-valve Alfa engines came out, the switch had been made to the Bosch MoTronic system and I'm not sure that the BMW and Alfa Romeo AFMs are compatible anymore. Anyone know for sure?

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'

On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 09:05 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:45:51 +0100
From: "Tim Hancock" <timhancock@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] AFM Alternatives for 164 24V ?

I need an AFM for the 24 Valve, and I thought I had a spare one, but
apparently not. They are quite difficult to find secondhand in the UK and I
wondered if there is a substitute AFM I could use. I have heard of some BMW
units being suitable, but I have no idea which. If anyone can fill in the gaps
in my knowledge I would be very grateful to know if there is another AFM I can
go hunting for.

The car is now quite close to MOT test standard and its very frustrating when
things like this rear their head at a late stage. It a curious thing, but I
have the last emissions test data for the car when it was running 18 months
ago, and it passed. For some reason the o2 sensor has given up during its laid
- -up period as the Co figure was way out, but restored with a new o2 sensor
installed.

Tim Hancock Boston UK

164TS
164 Super