Re: [alfa] 75 Transaxle and fresh air water leaks

Spencer, Graham wrote:

A couple of quick questions:
Can I replace the rear transaxle mount without dropping the transaxle? Can
the rear be lowered enough to gain access?
Yes, I've done three of these so far... and this is what you need to do:

1) disconnect e-brake cable from right rear caliper.
2) (optional) You might want to disconnect the brake union from the transaxle. It's a T shaped doodad where a flexible brake hose and two rigid pipes connect. By removing the small nut that holds it to the transaxle, it won't stretch the flexible link as much when you lower the TA.
3) put a jack under the TA, remove the bolt holding the TA to the chassis in the rear (a 1/2 impact wrench makes this a lot easier.)
4) lower the TA using the jack, far enough to expose the rear mount.

Now you're faced with how to get this damn mount out. The mount has a metal shell just under the outer ribbed rubber skin. I've tried two ways of getting it out... It's going to be in there pretty tight, and I had little success of just pressing it out. The first time I just carved out all the inner rubber, used a hack saw to cut the shell, and after much fighting I was able to tear it out.

The trick is to get out a propane torch and heat the rear of the TA mount. Warm it up enough and the outer rubber on the mount will start to melt, making it easy to push/pound the old mount out.

Clean up the hole, lube up the new mount with something appropriate, and press it in. I used a spare compressor mount bolt, but some allthread would work great too, in combination with some nuts washers, and large sockets.

I did the last one in about a half hour (including clean-up.) The first time I took about 4 hours.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org