[alfa] Engine Noises 1986 Spider

Experiencing ticking/rapping noises from engine compartment.  At idle with
engine cold, nothing.  As engine warms up, noise comes and goes - if noise is
present at idle, blipping the throttle sometimes clears it, sometimes not.  Its
loud enough I can hear it sometimes stopped in traffic.  Valve clearances are
good and the cam chain seems properly tensioned (found the tensioner bolt was
missing when I bought the car, and replaced it).  Checked the manifold studs
for tightness.  Engine has less than 30,000 miles on it.  I tried the
screwdriver to the ear exercise but didn't pick anything up (although as much due to
inexperience probably as anything).  Engine has about 2,000 miles on it since
the head gasket and water pump were replaced.  Any advice on what to check?  I'm
a long, long way from anyone who does Alfa service.  Thanks a lot.