Re: [alfa]Proper engine break in

Ok, maybe this will help... or maybe not, because it _is_ one of Those Subjects.

My understanding of the break in period comes from this:

In the "old" days, engines had poured bearings, that were thick and not too tight of a tolerance where very thin and tight tolerance are needed. So, one had to go easy on the engine to get all the high spots knocked down. = Break in period, and not reliable engines.

In the "not so old" days we started to have steel backed insert bearings onto which we were able to put a thin coat of babbit or other bearing compound on. Even then tolerances were still not great, and material consistancy was not too great. =Less break in period to get things used to each other, and longer lasing bearings.

Today, we have steel backed insert bearings and coating technologies that are capable of holding .000X" tolerance (or better) and very tightly controlled material properties. =Very little or any break in period and very reliable engines.

Obviously even our ALFAs can benifit by this because we are putting modern bearings (and rings, pistons, cyls., etc.) in our engines that take advantage of new fabrication and materials processing.

Steve

74 Spider
64 Spider