Re: [alfa]Proper engine break in

Jon Pike wrote:
The Alfa reccomendation for customer break in, where you stay under a certain rpm for a certain time, used to be common in new cars, and now is not. I've wondered what exactly has changed? Do they do bench break in? Different materials, or different surface prep? Different philosophy?
I think it's an admission that the gentle break-in is a) myth b) too late. I believe, before most motors are even installed in the car, they've been run-in on an engine dyno. I've seen some video of the process at the new Triumph (motorcycle) plant... they don't do it gently, they give 'em hell right from tick-over.

I think the gentle break-in is akin to black cats, walking under ladders, and spilling salt. Any motor problem that happens during a gentle engine break-in is simply fate, the same thing happening during a fast break-in is the fault of not following the superstition.

I'll let you know how it goes on my soon to be rebuilt 164S motor. Although my engine rebuilding skills (or lack thereof) are likely to be more suspect than the method I choose to break in the motor.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org