[alfa] Re: Jim K's porting

Ron
That is kind of a blanket statement you have there, and may not actually apply
to reality.

The generality works if you use the typical very long duration, high overlap
cams that Alfa is well known for, where you need the momentum to keep the air
flowing into the chamber.

But if one uses the cams that Jim K tells you to use in the book, his ports
probably work quite well- his are higher lift, with relatively shorter
duration.

It all works as a system- need to match the cams to the ports to work like you
want.  And good CFD software that will properly predict the flow in an
individual port is very hard to come by- the non steady condiditions are a PITA
to work with.   Especially all the back flow from the combustion gasses into
the intake when the valve first opens, during overlap.

And I know a guy who DID use the Jim K book, as a system, and that car was a
ROCKET.  Just have to be really careful when you do it, as there are some
coolant passageways nearby.

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI