[alfa] About 164

I want to thank all of you for the good wishes and the opinions about the
WRX. I am even considering to follow up with the Digest, just because of the
technical value, and because it's fun. I will get another Italian car, in the not
too distant future, but might be a Spider or a Spyder (an Alfa or a Maserati).
I already know and like the Maserati (have owned one) so don't worry about
cautioning me.
Regarding the 164: Mine was an early model manuractured in 01/90, complete
with the bracket behind the dashboard, that the steppers video describes.
The morning of the fire, I had turned the rear defogger on. The fire happened
about 10 minutes later. About a half minute before noticing the fire I had
turned the defogger off, thinking to myself that today it doesn't work as well
as usual , but the rear window is already good enough to turn it off. As I saw
the flames, there was no sign of voltage loss or of power loss of the engine
or of stalling. I actually turned the engine off.
The other thing is that my rear defogger fuse that is located on top of the
relay, I think, next to the battery, was couple times in the past looking bad,
I had replaced it.
The other thing is that for USA they eliminated the rear defogger/antenna
setup, and had to come up with a different one.
My fire extinguisher was of the Home Depo type, the small size (the next to
smallest). In reality that thing sprays for like less than 10 seconds.
It fits perfect in the 91-93 164 in the rear door shelv. What I mean is that
you jam it between the top of the shelv and the underside of the
doorhandle/elbowrest. It stayed there since 1998 without making a rattle, waiting to be
used.
It still worked although I had bought it in 1998. If I would have opened the
trunk and pulled the cover of the battery and sprayed the whole content onto
the battery, I might have saved the car. I was afraid to do that, thinking that
there might be a lot of flames or that the tank might burst in my face.
I got an extinguisher in the WRX too. Had it in the Maserati too. My friend
Peter watched his Biturbo burn without being able to do anything about it,
because his extinguisher had a slow leak over the years, and when the time to use
it came, it was out of pressure (nobody remembers to check that little
pressure gauge on it)
Take care
Vlad