[alfa] Re: Smoking GTV6

Joe and Simon suggested looking at the master cylinder and or booster for the cause of the big smoke after idling for a while.

I think I can eliminate that possibility. The smoke is not the whitish kind, it is pretty much blue/grey, and oily smelling. Besides, I had that problem about a year ago and replaced the master cylinder, sucked out (as best I could) the fluid from the booster and replaced the vacuum hose. That cured it and there has been no loss of fluid in the interim. I'm still leaning toward valve guides.

Incidentally, yesterday I pulled into a gas station and two teen types stopped dead in their tracks to look at the car. One asked what it was and opined that it was "awesome, man." I liked that.

John

P.S. Joe, the headrests on my '84 do not move.