[alfa] Re: Magnesium Wheels

If you can make your magnesium wheels burn . . . without a continuous
external heat source, or 100% oxygen atmosphere . . . I'll buy you a new
set.  I've repaired several Halibrand magnesium sprint car wheels with TIG
welder, on the bench, not in chamber.  Just to see how much of a fire hazard
they were, I laid a piece of 3/16 magnesium welding rod on the bench with a
couple inches sticking over the edge and tried to light it with a cigarette
lighter . . . no luck.  So, I switched to an oxy-acetylene torch.  The first
attempt just melted the rod and it dripped on the floor, but I finally got
it started!  It burned like a cheap candle . . . with a small yellow, smoky
flame.  More magnesium dripped on the floor than burned.

-- -- --
Jim Steck, AutoComponenti
8906 Darke County Line
Brookville, OH 45309
ph: (937) 884-5142
fax: (937) 884-5144
email: jim@domain.elided
www.autocomponenti.com

> And I think I read something about them being able to catch fire.

- -Peter