[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #860

While old photographic flash powder was magnesium, as are road flares, the flash properties of the powder and the burn characteristics of the road flares have as much to do with the form of the magnesium as it does the fact that it is magnesium. The flash powder was ground to a talc-like consistency which made it easily mixed with oxygen This is what made it so highly combustible. Flares are a mixture of a similar magnesium powder and an oxidizer (chemical oxygen source) which controls the speed of the burn. Remember, even ordinary wheat flour will burn at a rapid pace when mixed with air in the correct proportion. There are many stories of half-empty grain silos and flour mills actually violently exploding because the flour or wheat particulate in the air came in contact with a combustion source as innocent as a static electricity discharge or an electric light switch arcing on contact. Yes, magnesium will burn -especially in powder form. So will aluminum powder. But there is little chance of so-called "magnesium" wheels catching fire for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that virtually all of these wheels are an alloy of magnesium and aluminum and thus are NOT pure magnesium. I would think that pure magnesium, though certainly light, would be simply too soft to make a structural component like an automobile wheel. Secondly, the mass of a wheel made of pure magnesium would be such that it would take one hell of a heat source to heat it to it's flash point. A heat source not found automotively in anything short of a burning car, in which case, the wheels are least of one's worries anyway. BTW, flash-bulbs work on a different principle than flash powder. They work due to electrical incandescence. I.E. a high current is passed through a very thin metallic substance (usually, aluminum filament) in the bulb. The current heats the metal up almost instantly to the point where it literally vaporizes giving off an intense light while doing so (somewhat like an ordinary light-bulb when it burns out).

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'

On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 02:26 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 00:39:58 EDT
From: TWFAUST@domain.elided
Subject: Re: [alfa] Re:  Refinishing Magnesium Wheels

In a message dated 10/9/03 12:17:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
webb.p@domain.elided writes:

Aren't magnesium wheels prone to leak if not painted or otherwise treated?
And I think I read something about them being able to catch fire.

-Peter

Magnesium can be porous, but except for between the beads, I don't see where
painting will help. Magnesium burns at a rather low temperature. If I remember
correctly, old photographic flash bulbs and flash powder were magnesium
composites. I wouldn't worry about wheels bursting into flame at road temperatures.
Tom Faust