[alfa] Re: Quadra flow and horsepower

I don't doubt John Norman's dyno study . . . but it doesn't represent
the real operating conditions.  To compensate for day-to-day
weather conditions, dyno results are generally corrected to reflect
expected results at standard temperature and pressure.  That's
70 degrees F and 29.92 in Hg . . . so the Quadra flo is better at
high RPM when inlet temperatures are the same.

In the car, the Spica airbox is easily 50 degrees cooler than the
Quadra flo . . . a cold air box in Colaizzi's Giulietta vintage racer
dropped the inlet air temperature by 70 degrees.  Fifty degrees will
make a _5%_ difference in Hp.  If we accept Stevan's premise that
the Quadra flo only helps with high output (airflow) engines, we
have to conclude that on a stock engine, the Spica airbox is
5% better because of the difference in temperature.  The truth
probably lies somewhere in between with the Spica still ahead.

-- -- --
Jim Steck, AutoComponenti
8906 Darke County Line
Brookville, OH 45309