[alfa] Re: SPICA timing question: should my spider even be running?

It seems you've answered your own question about whether the engine will run with the Spica timing as it is. The engine will also run with the injection timing 360 (crankshaft) degrees off, but not as well as when it's correct. The fuel will still be sprayed into each of the intake ports, and when an intake valve opens, it will get into the cylinder. The first thing I'd do is set the timing correctly, and go from there with the rest of the tune-up procedures. One step at a time, and all the steps in the proper order. A good, working Spica pump, on an engine in good repair, should yield gas mileage about double what you've mentioned.

I'd add that if you don't already have it, get Wes Ingram's Spica manual!

You will then have a good education on how it works, and how to troubleshoot and properly adjust
your Spica. From your description, it's MASSIVELY rich... and it is amazing that a Spica car can run
when very far out of adjustment, but it seems that they do.

Get things back to where they should be, and she'll be a joy and a wonder again.!

Jon and Marcia
77 Spider
Irvine, CA