[alfa] Engine S/N vs. VIN number

Esteemed Digesti-
This a continuation of a thread I started re: Piston Slap.
Is there a data base that I can access that provides the VIN number and
Engine S/N that was installed in an Alfa  from the factory? Specifically, My
'87 Spider's VIN # is ZARBA5583H1048444 and the engine S/N  is
ARO1544-608884. I want to find out if this is the original engine for my
spider. The reason for this research is that I bought the car with the
understanding that it was an under 20K mile car, but with approximately 30K
miles, the engine showed a massive amount of wear and is now being replaced.
The shop indicated to me, and I witnessed the tear down and concur, that the
amount of wear was what one would expect with 200K miles - not 30K! The # 1
piston, for example, was so loose in its liner that the valve was touching
the piston dome! And it wasn't limited to the pistons. The valve stems were
extremely loose in their guides also. Carfax seems to only look at the VIN
and actually gave this car a clean bill of health, but there is no cross
reference to engine S/N. Any ideas fellow digesti?

--
John Cecil
<jcecil@domain.elided>