[alfa] Windshield for GTV 2000

Looking for any pearls of wisdom from fellow Digesters on the purchase of a
front windshield for my 1974 Alfa GTV 2000.  On my existing windshield, water
seeped in between the two sheets of glass that make up the windshield.  My
local glass man says it was not a failure of the gasket but rather, the
deterioration of the bonding agent that glues the windshield to the gasket.
Anyway,
I need a new one as mine is completely ruined.

I have contacted a number of Alfa vendors who sell replacement windshields.
They invarialbly describe their product as "glass from an aftermarket
supplier" or "glass from an OE Alfa supplier".  I am not sure if there is any
difference between both sources although price quotes range from $350 to over
$550.  More generally, is glass quality and sizing an issue when purchasing a
replacement windshield?  Any views on whether I should also approach one of
the large-scale dedicated windshield vendors such as those that advertize in
Hemmings?

The second issue of concern is the safe shipment of the windshield so that it
arrives in one unbroken piece.  I think that proper packing is key here.  I've
heard that shipping a windshield in a wooden crate is the best option (albeit
the most expensive one).
Has anyone dealt with a vendor who took extra care in packing the windshield
for shipment?

Any advice or experience would be genuinely appreciated.

Marc Grenier
Ottawa, Canada