[alfa] 164 manual gearbox

I hate to sound like a naysayer but these modern gearboxes don't have a lid
to whip off and take a look inside. The case is the "lid" and the gearbox
basically has to be dismantled to look at anything, let alone repair
anything. Rumours abound that various servicing can be done with the box in
the car, but that does not seem possible to me as the case locates the
insides and removal of the case is necessary to dismantle the shafts. It is
not possible to remove and replace anything on the shaft without taking the
gears and bearings off the shaft in sequence, which cannot be done with the
case on.

Having said that, with the box out of the car, stripping the box, though
time consuming, should not be that difficult or expensive for a shop.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner