[alfa] RE: Frwapping noise at 17000 RPM

Greg,

Is the noise repeatable . . . or did it just go "frwap" when it hit 17,000?

> ---------------- original message --------------------<
From: "Greg Steinke" <GSTEINKE@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] RE: Frwapping noise at 17000 RPM

Zach -
My 82 had some resonances at certain rpms. The causes:
1. bent sump guard touching engine. This made the whole car vibrate, it
was more than audible.
2. Exhaust buzzes. The heat shield had come loose and was touching the
cat. And, the cat itself has a little heat shield on it that was held in
place with some spot welds. One of the spot welds had somehow broken, so
the heat shield could move around a bit. I drilled a hole and used a
bolt + nut (with locktite) to re-fasten. The hole did not go into the
cat itself; it was on one of the corners of the unit, so no exhaust can
escape there.

Good luck
Greg