[alfa] Brake caliper rebuild]

Hi Jeff..

BTW, thanks for the boot rings! They got here 3-4 days ago..

Hmm.. well, I'm using some kits from IAP, they are Akron brand. I'm pretty sure they aren't twisted.
There was a lot of crud floating around, and crud stains on the bore and piston. I very carefully rubbed
over them with some 1500 paper and cleaned them up.. the piston and bore didn't seem anywhere near
mirror fine finshed, and didn't look too different after the sanding than they did before..

As Murphy would have it, the inner seals look pretty good, at least on the first caliper I'm starting with,
so I really didn't need to change them. The outer boots were shot, I feared problems from that, and apparently
nobody sells just outer boots.

Perhaps I'll take it apart again and see if there's newly disturbed crud under the seals.. Perhaps I'll put in the old
ones and just use the new outer boots. (watch them not fit) The old seals look in pretty decent shape, though I'd
better look carefully for screwdriver nicks and such.

Where do you find OEM ATE kits nowadays?

Jon

Jeff Greenfield wrote:

Jon -
The pistons should go in fairly easily. Usually there is some force required
initially to get the piston past the seal, but after that they should move
fairly easily.

If the piston and bores are clean, remove the inner seal from the caliper
and make sure that there is not crud in there. When install the seal, make
sure that it is properly seated all the way around and is not 'twisted' at
all.

It really is pretty simple, there is not much to it.

The only other thing that I question, is what kind of caliper kits are you
using? I've had problems with the seals not fitting correctly on the
aftermarket kits, so I only use original ATE caliper kits (which are hard to
find these days).

HTH,

Jeff