[alfa] Re: 1991 164 for Sale

Talfieri61@domain.elided wrote:

> I have a 1991 164LS that I need to sell.  The timing belt skipped and
> apparently caused some damage to the rear head.  Strangely enough, this
> seems to have happened in my garage, rather than when I was out driving.
> In any case, I have neither the time nor the money to work on this car
> and need to sell.

Are you sure the engine is damaged?  If you haven't already, I would:

  1) reset the cam timing
  2) readjust the belt tensioner (replace if broken)
  3) fire it up

If the car runs fine, you're done.  If it won't start or runs like a
Briggs & Stratton, do a compression test.  If you've got compression,
then your valves are straight, and something else must be the matter.

Perhaps you've already been through all this and you're sure the engine
is damaged.  In that case, I'd have the car repaired, if only just to
sell it.  A non-running 164 won't fetch much money at all.

Regards
-Tom
thomasw@domain.elided